Vegansrock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vegansrock

Nod your head and clap your hands, or open your mind and understand !

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How much would YOU pay, for this art !?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Firebird

Firebird

How much would YOU pay, for this art !? Empty
PostSubject: How much would YOU pay, for this art !?   How much would YOU pay, for this art !? EmptyTue 11 Aug 2009, 9:07 am

How much would YOU pay, for this art !? 0565b

Razz Seriously.... ?

Here are the item specifications, for this exciting and vibrant made-in-Orkney piece.
It's professional, and everything !

Title: Submersible
Medium: Mixed Media on Board
Dimensions: 60 x 60 ins
Framed or unframed: Unframed

Laughing
Personally, I reckon that if this is the competition, then I should have nothing to worry about , if I embark on an exciting career as an artist.
Back to top Go down
https://vegansrock.forumotion.com
Firebird

Firebird

PostSubject: Re: How much would YOU pay, for this art !?   How much would YOU pay, for this art !? EmptyFri 14 Aug 2009, 1:38 pm

(chuckle) The author of this delightful painting piece, was a daft bully from my class.
Back then, she generally spent her days prancing about wanting to be a model, and generally swanning around while deriding whatever I'm into...

I've always wanted to be an artist, since I was a little girl, so given the circumstances, I feel quite at liberty to rip right into a scathing critique of this ugly-ass painting.

Very Happy haha...

I find it horrifying, yet entrancing....

Like, "OMG.... it's so freaking ugly.... but on so many different creative layers of crapness"

Smile I can only assume that this was the intended viewing ambience of the author.

I mean, really now though.....

It looks like she's just got a big canvas
Then covered it in nasty sort-of-gunmetal-grey paint
Then kind-of... molested it with two big brushes, a little bit (one black, and one white, paint-tipped brush)
Then, she's got a bit more white, and scrawled feebly a little bit, with the best effort being an effort-devoid "pob" in the top-right-hand corner...
... and to conclude, it's finished off with a flourishing splash of bird crap.... to give it the creamy consistency in places, which it truly does deserve.

And so, I conclude my personal art critique with the following score....
F (Could try harder)
lol!
Back to top Go down
emphryio

PostSubject: Re: How much would YOU pay, for this art !?   How much would YOU pay, for this art !? EmptyMon 17 Aug 2009, 1:44 am

...I'm not so sure I agree with your assessment here. Maybe back during the Lord of the Flies reenactment (the public school system) she was crap but in general if I don't like someone's attempt at art I refrain from going on about how awful it is. I think it's best to just leave it at, "it doesn't work for me." So few people even attempt to be artistic, I think we should respect people for trying. I don't think that anyone who bothers to try and create something should then be made fun of for what they produced.

Although abstract art isn't something I like much generally.

...well if it's extreme kitsch; absurdly focusing on positives to the point where it appears to be a parody... but isn't, then it's hard to not make fun... Or some of the hip hop which is trying too hard to be cool or glorifying violence... Or something trying to be patriotic... Eh. But abstract pieces of art generally aren't expressing harmful ideas.
Back to top Go down
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=725173
Firebird

Firebird

PostSubject: Re: How much would YOU pay, for this art !?   How much would YOU pay, for this art !? EmptyMon 17 Aug 2009, 7:08 am

She expects £880 for this thing.

£880 !

That's $US 1,434 (present exchange rate : $1.63 per £1)

.... which is far more than most people at benefit-class ever own at any one time.
As was true even before the credit crunch (which seems to be hitting the UK especially hard, since so many people were living so jovially on credit during the bubble part), many people have no option but to remain on the bottom rung of the flimsy socioeconomic status-ladder.

For comparison, standard dole for young people is £35 a week.
Basic 'income support' (for those, for example, incapable of completing constant full-time 'looking for work' training') is £25 per week.
People receiving only the 'national insurance credit' would get around £5-£5.50 per week.
The minimum wage for over-22s is £5.73 an hour.

To explain my stance somewhat...
I was (illegally) prevented from taking art in 3rd and 4th year, then again in 5th year.
For no good reason, and with my protests.
It involved being locked in and forced to change my own subject choices.

I've never been able to study art properly at all yet, mainly due to extensive abuse of many kinds, all through my childhood and well into my adulthood, combined with various forms of homelessness.
If you see how I've been treated and stifled as an artist for over 2 decades, then it's really opressive.

For comparison, after what I now see was an extremely cushty and priviledged upbringing, this girl has then done a degree. At the fancy Edinburgh college of art. It's in drawing and painting. As with the majority of young peoples' degrees, it was probably paid for by a government 'student loan.'

And after all this opportunity.... , is this seriously what she's coming out with as high-class art..... ?

Well, I've been trying hard to be an artist for my whole life.

People generally behave as if I totally chose my own options at school, and should just have chosen art then gone to art school (the local college does agriculture, computing and art) ....

In fact, after choosing art and being illegally deprived of art education for the final 3 years of high school (then dropping out for the 6th year, because I was so pissed off and burned out by being messed about so pointlessly and so heartbreakingly so much. I was being harassed and intimidated all the time for being vegetarian, and nagged at to acquire trendy clothes and all kinds of things by both school bullies , then (when i complained about them) the teachers too.

I've also had Tuberculosis (and goodness even knows what else) for 2 decades or thereabouts, which makes it hard to attend full-time learning.
I've only just found out about the OU properly, having been deterred from doing a course with them (then having my brother, dad and mum combine efforts to completely sabotage the first OU course i tried to do, first by preventing me from using the internet - when the whole course was online - then from my brother stealing my course materials for over 8 years (and still counting !) )

Maybe I should just give up trying to figure out any of this stuff about shading, lighting, perspective, figure drawing etc, and just throw some paint at a canvas to demonstrate how fed up I feel, and overwhelmed etc ?

(shrug) If I ever expect to make any money in life, especially as an artist, then it looks like abstract art is probably where it's at.
Nice paintings wouldn't sell for £880 unless they were antique, or something.

I did my entire week of Work Experience at the Glasgow School of Art, and nobody even gave a shit.
Not even my parents or brother. Certainly not teachers, classmates, etc.

If people are going to behave like I'm completely worthless, then if they put themselves about as artists then I would expect them to come out with better art than I would manage if I'd had their supportive parenting, legal schooling, not been used as an unpaid child worker and carer, been given medical treatment, been kept in a clean house, blah blah, gone to art school yadda yadda. Whatever. It's like that.
Back to top Go down
emphryio

PostSubject: Re: How much would YOU pay, for this art !?   How much would YOU pay, for this art !? EmptySat 22 Aug 2009, 7:17 am

Firebird wrote:
She expects £880 for this thing.

£880 !

That's $US 1,434 (present exchange rate : $1.63 per £1)
Ok, that is different then. I thought of possibly mentioning that as another, IMO, valid reason to make fun of someone's art. When people start getting all pretentious about abstract art, then they deserve everyone to go ahead and make fun of them. And expecting that sort of money for something a 4 year old could randomly make falls under the heading of pretentious IMO.

Quote :
.... which is far more than most people at benefit-class ever own at any one time.
As was true even before the credit crunch (which seems to be hitting the UK especially hard, since so many people were living so jovially on credit during the bubble part), many people have no option but to remain on the bottom rung of the flimsy socioeconomic status-ladder.

For comparison, standard dole for young people is £35 a week.
Basic 'income support' (for those, for example, incapable of completing constant full-time 'looking for work' training') is £25 per week.
People receiving only the 'national insurance credit' would get around £5-£5.50 per week.
The minimum wage for over-22s is £5.73 an hour.

To explain my stance somewhat...
I was (illegally) prevented from taking art in 3rd and 4th year, then again in 5th year.
For no good reason, and with my protests.
It involved being locked in and forced to change my own subject choices.

I've never been able to study art properly at all yet, mainly due to extensive abuse of many kinds, all through my childhood and well into my adulthood, combined with various forms of homelessness.
If you see how I've been treated and stifled as an artist for over 2 decades, then it's really opressive.

For comparison, after what I now see was an extremely cushty and priviledged upbringing, this girl has then done a degree. At the fancy Edinburgh college of art. It's in drawing and painting. As with the majority of young peoples' degrees, it was probably paid for by a government 'student loan.'
1. It won't make her art any better.
2. It might help feed a sort of emperor's new clothes thing that goes on with art in general and abstract art more so. And simply because she went to an art school and has probably has the right connections she may indeed sell some of her incredibly overpriced pictures.
And I hate to say it, but in general, people who are way too sure that their art, whatever medium it's in is just amazing, instead of being highly critical and well, realistic, are indeed more likely to be successful. They are more likely to draw people into an emperors new clothes thing. And, groups of artists will mutually pat each other on the back, pretending they're something special, etc. And they will promote themselves a lot where someone else doing better work won't feel as certain of what they're making and won't promote so much. Won't make themselves out to be a very special (pretentious) person. Etc. And indeed is far less likely to be noticed.

Quote :
And after all this opportunity.... , is this seriously what she's coming out with as high-class art..... ?

Well, I've been trying hard to be an artist for my whole life.

People generally behave as if I totally chose my own options at school, and should just have chosen art then gone to art school (the local college does agriculture, computing and art) ....

In fact, after choosing art and being illegally deprived of art education for the final 3 years of high school (then dropping out for the 6th year, because I was so pissed off and burned out by being messed about so pointlessly and so heartbreakingly so much. I was being harassed and intimidated all the time for being vegetarian, and nagged at to acquire trendy clothes and all kinds of things by both school bullies , then (when i complained about them) the teachers too.

I've also had Tuberculosis (and goodness even knows what else) for 2 decades or thereabouts, which makes it hard to attend full-time learning.
I've only just found out about the OU properly, having been deterred from doing a course with them (then having my brother, dad and mum combine efforts to completely sabotage the first OU course i tried to do, first by preventing me from using the internet - when the whole course was online - then from my brother stealing my course materials for over 8 years (and still counting !) )

Maybe I should just give up trying to figure out any of this stuff about shading, lighting, perspective, figure drawing etc, and just throw some paint at a canvas to demonstrate how fed up I feel, and overwhelmed etc ?

(shrug) If I ever expect to make any money in life, especially as an artist, then it looks like abstract art is probably where it's at.
Nice paintings wouldn't sell for £880 unless they were antique, or something.

I did my entire week of Work Experience at the Glasgow School of Art, and nobody even gave a shit.
Not even my parents or brother. Certainly not teachers, classmates, etc.

If people are going to behave like I'm completely worthless, then if they put themselves about as artists then I would expect them to come out with better art than I would manage if I'd had their supportive parenting, legal schooling, not been used as an unpaid child worker and carer, been given medical treatment, been kept in a clean house, blah blah, gone to art school yadda yadda. Whatever. It's like that.
Back to top Go down
emphryio

PostSubject: Re: How much would YOU pay, for this art !?   How much would YOU pay, for this art !? EmptySat 22 Aug 2009, 7:23 am

The forum software kept jumping my cursor back up so I couldn't reply to that last bit.

I don't think the going to school part really matters for making good art.

It does matter for making the right connections in order to get your art noticed/possibly actually making some money.

Although I'm pretty sure most people that go to art school still never make a living from art as a result....?

Why were you not allowed to go to art class though?

The thing I have against painting is that the paint costs money... And thus the mistakes made don't just mean wasting time, they mean wasting money. I've tried to paint a bit and of course especially in the beginning one's going to make a lot of mistakes. And it quickly looked like a lot of money that was going to get wasted on paint.

I think still writing is the superior art form. Very cheap to do. Among other things.

For painting I like this sort of thing mostly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bauer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much would YOU pay, for this art !?   How much would YOU pay, for this art !? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Vegansrock :: Non-Vegan Discussion :: General Discussion-
Jump to: